Saturday, September 5, 2009

OMG! I am not the only crazy, OCD mom

My dear friend, Angela ,was nice enough to share a long list of her favorite blogs with me so I could check them out. The very first blog I looked at, I happened across this blog entry below. I had to do a double take to make sure I hadn't written it in my sleep, under some alias name. Here's the entry below:
You Didn't Have to Be There http://suburbanturmoil.blogspot.com/search?updated-max=2009-09-01T12%3A51%3A00-05%3A00&max-results=4
Posted 8/28/2009 8:32 PM CDT
"I spent about an hour yesterday cleaning up our playroom. I hadn't cleaned it in about a week and in that time, it seemed like Bruiser had managed to get every single toy out and spread it all over the floor. I'm one of those moms who can't stand to lose a single piece of a toy. I will hunt for MONTHS until I find the missing Polly Pocket shoe. I will obsess for YEARS about the one missing wooden block in our alphabet set (true story). In fact, I was certain it went missing after my eldest stepdaughter babysat my daughter three years ago. It was totally on my mind as I cleaned out my stepdaughter's room last week. I was just sure it was under her bed (along with about 5,000 other things). It totally.... WASN'T. I was wrong, N. I thought you had the block and you didn't. Sorry 'bout that.Um. Anyway.You will understand why I was frustrated yesterday when one flashcard turned up missing from a set of alphabet flash cards that had been scattered all over the floor. Scattered and colored on. They were from the Dollar Tree, so it wasn't like it mattered that much, but still. A MISSING ALPHABET CARD. Dread and despair.For some reason, I decided to organize our DVD shelves and lo and behold, I found the missing alphabet card among our movies! It was like a miracle!"I found it!" I shrieked to my children, who were playing in the room. "I found my V card!"They didn't even look up. Immediately,
I realized what I had said and thought it was really too bad that my audience was too naive to snicker appropriately.Which is why I'm telling you now.Snicker away. "

Back to me....It is so nice to know there are other moms out there just like me. I don't obsess when the kids clothes get dirty (and yes, I do let them get dirty). I have the magic cure for all stains. Bring a stain to me and I'll get it out. I don't obsess about most things. It's all the little pieces to their toys that brings me to a full OCD moment. I still have hopes of someday finding a rubber sheep toy that went missing shortly after Princess got it for her first birthday. I think the housekeeper threw it out by mistake.


The kids and I have a saying when something is missing. The person that realizes something is missing says.."there is an reward out for ......" Just by saying the phrase everyone in the house knows to be on the lookout. We don't obsessively run around looking for the piece (well, at least most of the time). It always shows up in a day or two. There really is no reward. The finder gets special recognition. Typically, Princess or dear Husband finds it. He is still wondering when he is going to get his reward. Sorry Charlie... no real rewards are handed out!

No comments:

Post a Comment